UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — Fifth-seeded Penn State men’s lacrosse opens the postseason Saturday when it travels to play at fourth-seeded Johns Hopkins in the quarterfinal round of the Big Ten Tournament. The game is scheduled for 1 p.m. at Homewood Field and will stream on B1G+.
The winner of Saturday’s game advances to take on top-seeded Maryland in the semifinal round on Thursday. Both semifinal matchups and the championship game will be played at Maryland’s Capital One Field.
HOW TO FOLLOW
Saturday, April 30 | 1 p.m.
Live Stats | B1G+
• Penn State trails 12-4 in the all-time series with Johns Hopkins, but the Lions have won four of the past seven meetings dating back to 2018.
• The Blue Jays won 13-10 in the first meeting between the teams this season.
• All four of Penn State’s wins in the series have come during Jeff Tambroni‘s time as head coach.
SCOUTING THE BLUE JAYS
• Johns Hopkins enters the Big Ten Tournament as the No. 4 seed after going 6-8 overall and 2-3 in the Big Ten during the regular season.
• The Blue Jays closed the regular season with a 22-7 loss to unbeaten and No. 1 ranked Maryland.
• Senior attackman Garrett Degnon was recently voted to the All-Big Ten second team. He leads Johns Hopkins in points with 41 and goals with 34. He scored six goals in the Blue Jays’ 13-10 win over Penn State two weeks ago.
• Beaudan Szuluk ranks third in the Big Ten in caused turnovers per game at 1.29.
VS. THE BIG TEN
• Penn State is 59-113 (.343) all-time against current members of the Big Ten. The Lions are 28-26 (.519) against those same teams during head coach Jeff Tambroni‘s 12 seasons with the team.
• The Lions are 19-21 (.475) in Big Ten regular season games since the league added lacrosse in 2015. They have winning records in league play over Michigan and Ohio State.
B1G TOURNAMENT HISTORY
• The Big Ten Tournament has been held six times since the league formed in 2015. Maryland has won three times (2016, 17, 21), Johns Hopkins has won twice (2015, 18), and Penn State has won once (2019)
• At least one of the three teams above is guaranteed a spot in the Big Ten championship as all three are on the same side of the bracket.
B1G TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE
|Saturday, April 30 (Quarterfinals – at campus sites)|
|1 p.m.||Game 1: No. 4 Johns Hopkins vs. No. 5 Penn State||Live Stats|
|1 p.m.||Game 2: No. 3 Ohio State vs. No. 6 Michigan||Live Stats|
|Thursday, May 5 (Semifinals – at College Park, Md./Capital One Field at Maryland Stadium)|
|5:30 p.m. (BTN)||Game 3: No. 1 Maryland vs. Game 1 Winner||Live Stats|
|8 p.m. (BTN)||Game 4: No. 2 Rutgers vs. Game 2 Winner||Live Stats|
|Saturday, May 8 (Championship – at College Park, Md./Capital One Field at Maryland Stadium)|